Freedom to Teach

What does the Freedom to Teach mean to you?

Join the AFT's Freedom to Teach movement.

Read or watch AFT President Randi Weingarten's Freedom to Teach speech

Community owners

Primary tabs

Gilbert Maruna 1's picture
Gilbert Maruna 1
freedom to utilize resources without interference from administration
@kimberly_yonker's picture
@kimberly_yonker
^ Yes! Or to use resources without parents hearing a misconstrued version about it and starting issues on social media about indoctrinating a liberal or conservative agenda.
Eleanor_M_3172476's picture
Eleanor_M_3172476
Oh, yes, and to be supported in forming relationships with parents of students!
Tammy McBean's picture
Tammy McBean
Teach using up to date technology and resources, and skills that are needed, not skipping over basics and not teaching only skills or standards for test passing.
Eleanor_M_3172476
Freedom to Teach means to me to get a permanent full-time job at the grade levels I feel I am most useful and inspired in, and then be the key in the door to grow knowledge, and our community. To see the roots I can help students grow and someday, see the fruit. To not be constricted by administration and not be shunted aside as I interview for appropriate jobs because of my looks, gender, or age.
kaawills's picture
kaawills
Freedom to teach means being able to use and differentiate for each student at whatever level they are located, as well, as being provided with adequate and current resources to meet the needs of the students.
AmberSPED's picture
AmberSPED
Yes! Support and resources to promote differentiation!
kaawills's picture
kaawills
This past year resources really was important because a student from Benin, Africa was placed in my fourth grade classroom whose English language level was as a newcomer.. The school/administration had no curriculum. The ENL teacher gave the student a french dictionary and he received services once a day for 30 minutes. At first It was a nightmare finding free resources for him. Fortunately I had taken French classes in high school and college. I wished Ihad known earlier that there is actually a wealth of lessons in French.
AmberSPED's picture
AmberSPED
That was quite a challenging situation. Too bad you didn't have more support or resources on the front-end. I hope you can find a way to share the information and resources you discovered with other teachers. Kudos to you!
scpeters's picture
scpeters
to broach hard subjects and have discussions with students without fear of being banned from doing so!
Eleanor_M_3172476
I got "spoken to" last year for trying to help students understand why people would respond with a slogan such as "Black Lives Matter" but was allowed to continue.
vcevans_2056371's picture
vcevans_2056371
Freedom to Teach to me means allowing others to feel free and comfortable to learn at their own level and pace, with no fear of asking questions without worrying about time constraints.
daciadaniels_mtces's picture
daciadaniels_mtces
Freedom to teach means to be open to using legitimate outside resources to maximize my teaching and enlightening students, allowing them to be more culturally aware. It also means I can approach each lesson in a way that reaches students in the way that is conducive for learning at their own level.