Here is guidance from support at Google:
On your Chromebook, you can open, edit, download, and convert many Microsoft® Office files, such as Word, PowerPoint, or Excel files.
Important: Before you edit Office files, check that your Chromebook software is up to date.
Option 1: Edit Office files on your Chromebook
You can edit most Microsoft® Office files on your Chromebook without installing any other apps.
- If you haven’t yet, download the Office file to your Chromebook.
- In the corner of your screen, click the Launcher Up arrow .
- Find your file, and double-click it to open.
- Edit your file.
Note: Some features and settings won’t work unless you save your file as a Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides file.
Option 2: Edit Office files online
If you have a Microsoft® Office online account, you can edit your files in Chrome using these extensions and apps:
- Office Online
- Office Editing for Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- Word Online
- Excel Online
- PowerPoint Online
Work together on a file with others
You can share Office files with others and work together to edit the file in real time:
- Edit your Office file.
- Save your file as Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
- Share your file, then begin working with others.
Note: Any updates made to the Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides file will not carry over to the original Office file.