Focus: Plants and animals, including humans, have vital needs that must be met for the organism to live and grow. All living things need water and air. Plants also need light, mineral nutrients, and space to grow. Animals, including humans, need food and shelter, much of which they get from plants. In getting what they need, plants and animals change their environments.
Students explore concepts that include the following:
- Organisms get what they need from the environment.
- Damaging environmental changes can affect organisms.
- Environmental changes affect the needs of plants, animals, and humans.
- There is evidence of plants, animals, and humans causing changes to an environment.
- There are both negative and positive ways in which humans impact the environment.
- There are practical ways to protect the environment.
Number of Lessons: 5
Instruction Time: Each lesson is divided into 4-5 lesson segments. We recommend that you plan for about 30-45 minutes for each lesson segment.
Individual Resources: Teacher Guide, Student Book