Ankle sprain or twisted ankle is an injury which occurs when the ankle is rolled twisted or turned in an awkward manner resolving and tearing or stretching of the ligaments which help in stabilizing the ankle bones together.
Rating of ankle sprains or twisted ankle
1. Grade one: Sprain of ankle
There is mild stretching or tearing of ligaments with some mild or zero joint instability. Mild pain swelling and stiffness may be present patient may experience some difficulty in walking or running.
2. Grade two: Sprain of ankle of the ligaments
With some joint instability patient experiences pain upon walking. Swelling and stiffness is also present along with mild bruising.
3. Grade three: Sprain of ankle
There is complete rupture or care of the ligament fibers. Patient experiences acute pain and severe joint instability, extensive swelling and bruising is present.
Causes of ankle sprain or twisted ankle
Falling and landing on the ankle causing it to twist can lead to sprained ankle jumping and landing awkwardly on the ankle can lead to spraining the ankle, walking jogging or exercising on the regular surfaces can cause sprain to the ankle symptoms of ankle sprain or twisted ankle pain upon weight bearing on the injured foot.
Pain upon movement of the injured foot swelling bruising redness and warmth there may be a pop audible or felt when the injury occurs test to diagnose ankle sprain or twisted ankle. Bones can help in detecting stress fractures.
You can treat a mild ankle sprain easily at home with some simple home remedies. Here are some simple home remedies for a sprained ankle.
1) Ice wrap about a cup of ice cubes in a towel, apply and compress to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat the process every two to three hours, this should be applied over the affected area for the first 48 to 72 hours after the injury.
2) Turmeric - mix two tablespoons of turmeric powder one tablespoon of lime juice and a little bit of warm water to make a thick paste, apply the paste to the sprained ankle and then wrap it with a bandage. Leave it on for 10 hours. Repeat again every 10 hours and continue this treatment for a week for quick pain relief.
Mix equal amounts of turmeric powder and limestone powder and add water to make a thick paste, heat the paste and apply it to the affected area before going to bed. Wrap it in the bandage leave it on overnight, in the morning remove the bandage do this for two to three days.
In case of immense pain add one teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk, drink this twice daily for a week.
3) Garlic - mix one tablespoon of garlic juice and two tablespoons of warm coconut oil, gently rub this solution on the affected area leave it on for half an hour and then wash the area with lukewarm water. Use this simple remedy three or four times a day for several days until your ankle heals completely.