August 17, 2021 | 0 comments
Haitians Left Homeless by 7.2 Magnitude Earthquake Now Brace for Storm
Ask students: Who is interviewed in this piece, and what is his relevant background? What are some of the needs in Haiti right now, according to this piece?
Haitians Brace for Storm After 7.2 Magnitude Quake
An earthquake Saturday brought devastation to Haiti. Landslides have made major roads impassable for aid groups. Hospitals in southern Haiti are overwhelmed and thousands are sheltering in the streets or on soccer fields. Tropical depression Grace could trigger flash flooding and landslides. William Brangham speaks to Akim Kikonda, the Haiti country representative for Catholic Relief Services. Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions below. To read the transcript of the video, click here.
- Who is interviewed in this piece, and what is his relevant background?
- What are some of the needs in Haiti right now, according to this piece?
- When did Haiti last suffer a devastating earthquake?
- Where is the worst of the destruction in Haiti?
- Why is this a particularly challenging time for the Haitian government?
- How is the international community already responding to the disaster in Haiti?
Focus Question: Do you know how to help provide relief for people experiencing disasters such as the earthquake in Haiti? What are ways you can confirm that money or other resources are going to organizations capable of providing real help?
Media Literacy: What do you think the producers of this piece were trying to highlight by interviewing a relief worker rather than a Haitian official or citizen?
- For more on ways people can help in Haiti, read this article.
- This article provides more information on the threat of storms and mudslides, especially to those without shelter.
Republished with permission from PBS NewsHour Extra.