Recently, several buses carrying migrants who'd recently crossed the southern border were headed to New York, but they were diverted instead to New Jersey. It's the most recent effort by officials to manage a crisis that has seen hundreds of thousands of migrants arrive in northern cities. William Brangham reports.
For a transcript of this story, click here.
- What is the capacity of the Roosevelt Hotel?
- Who is Dr. Ted Long?
- How many of those who arrive in New York City choose to leave within 24 hours?
- Why does Mayor Eric Adams blame the federal government and Governor Greg Abbott of Texas for the challenges New York City is facing?
- When does the city of New York enforce a time limit for families in shelters?
- How does the city of New York plan to address the increasing challenges posed by the growing number of migrants? Do you agree with the approach?
- What change in federal, state or local laws and regulations do you think would do the most to help alleviate the strain on cities like New York from increased migration?
- Media literacy: How can news outlets bring light to more under-represented stories?
Watch this video and answer the following question: How can schools and students create a sense of welcoming for all students?