How can we channel student chatter about ChatGPT?
OpenAI’s public launch of ChatGPT last November caught many educators by surprise. As the field of generative artificial intelligence (AI) rapidly blossoms with tools that can write essays, create images, compose music, craft computer code, and more, classroom teachers find themselves facing increasingly complex questions. When an AI writing tool like ChatGPT can deliver a passable persuasive essay in seconds, what’s stopping students from having such systems do all of their schoolwork for them? What are the implications of these technologies for the future that awaits today’s students? What is the place for original thinking and how do we demonstrate to students it is more important than ever?
In this 2023 Share My Lesson Virtual Conference session, we will:
- Examine ChatGPT, what it does, and how it works.
- Share straightforward adjustments to assignments and assessments that can naturally lead students towards doing authentic work.
- Explore opportunities to incorporate generative AI tools into your practice.
- Discuss the nature of creativity and offer ideas on how to cultivate original thinking.
- Review instructional resources that you can immediately put to use in your classroom.