Learn how educators can build authentic relationships with ELLs this year in virtual and hybrid settings, as well as how they can connect students' experiences to meaningful instruction.
This article is part of our guide on distance learning with ELLs.
What's in this article
We have compiled some of these ideas and resources below in the following strategies — most of which can be used with all students as well!
- Getting students' names right
- Getting to know students' interests
- Welcoming students' languages and cultures
- Welcoming students' celebrations and family traditions
- Interacting with students individually or in small groups when possible
- Giving students a chance to plan their learning
- Providing opportunities for students to tell their stories
- Embedding social-emotional learning across the curriculum