With the emphasis firmly on social and emotional learning, the AFT and the National PTA hosted a telephone town hall April 14. The call, which drew 55,000 participants, featured experts on mental health, psychology and the science of learning, all to do parents a solid on teaching their children at home.
Noting that the COVID-19 pandemic has upended most of our lives—and more than 30,000 Americans have died so far—AFT President Randi Weingarten described how our members who work in healthcare and other frontline professions are still fighting for basics like protective gear. Meanwhile, school employees valiantly prepare grab-and-go meals, and teachers direct home instruction remotely.
The AFT is focused on three things during this crisis: the health, safety and well-being of everyone in the United States; the lives of our first responders and frontline workers; and the economic repercussions of the emergency.
Guest speakers include:
- Randi Weingarten, President, American Federation of Teachers
- Nathan Monell, Executive Director, National PTA
- Dr. Pamela Cantor, Founder and Senior Science Advisor, Turnaround for Children
- Dr. Arthur Evans, CEO, American Psychological Association
- Jim Arey – high school teacher, Elk Grove High School (Elk Grove Village, IL); President, Local #1211
- Antoinette Brown, PTA President, Gorman Crossing Elementary School (Laurel, MD)
Learn more from the speakers that joined us for the important conversation:
Randi Weingarten and Nathan Monell
Listen to the entire conversation here (1H42M):