Students will learn what a conspiracy theory is, how people fall for them, and how to talk with family members with differing views without it turning confrontational. They will be able to answer the questions:
- What is a conspiracy theory?
- Why do people believe in conspiracy theories?
- How do I fact-check a conspiracy theory?
- How do I talk with family and friends about conspiracy theories without it becoming confrontational?
This lesson was developed by PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs in partnership with MediaWise and the Teen Fact-Checking Network, which are part of the Poynter Institute. This partnership has been made possible with support from Google.
Students will be able to:
- Explain the definition of a conspiracy theory
- Explain why people believe in conspiracy theories
- Learn how to fact-check a conspiracy theory
- Learn how to talk with family and friends about conspiracy theories without it becoming confrontational
ESTIMATED TIME: 45 mins.