In the following STEM challenges, students will design a nature-inspired solution to a problem. They involve making observations of a plant or animal, describing its most unique or interesting structures and functions, identifying a human problem that mimicking the plant or animal could solve, and designing and advertising an invention using biomimicry.
About Nature Did It First:
Nature does it best … and did it first! Explore the ways we have looked to nature for brilliant new designs and innovations to solve our own conundrums. Each example in nature is paired with a fun, rhyming description, an example of how it has been used by us, and a question to the reader – “what other problems can be solved?”
Learn fascinating examples of biomimicry, like:
• How burrs inspired Velcro
• How grooved gecko feet inspired adhesive
• How bumpy whale flippers inspired windmill blades and surfboards
• And more!
Back matter includes:
• A glossary for words like echolocation and adhesive
• A STEM Challenge activity perfect for your home or classroom