Essential Question/Big Idea:
- Over the course of US history, how has access to a quality education been restricted by race and class?
- What role does segregation by race and class play in unequal access to a quality education in US schools today?
Students will understand that…
- The Supreme Court has been used as a tool to encourage school desegregation
Students will know….
- Brown v. Board of Education mandated that schools be desegregated.
- Milliken v. Bradley said that school districts and states are not responsibility for creating diversity (EX: Schools are not responsible from bussing students to their non-local school to create diverse schools)
Students will be able to….
- Read and answer questions about Supreme Court decisions.
- Analyze data in a chart.