Plastic is durable and long-lasting, making it useful for packaging things like food, but not so good for the environment. How is plastic debris impacting our oceans?
Grade level: 6-10
Length: 5.5 minutes
Next Generation Science Standards: MS-ESS3-3, MS-ESS3-4 (PEs); MS-ESS3.C (DCI); Systems (CCC)
- What are some of the benefits and drawbacks of plastic?
- What problems does plastic debris in the ocean pose for marine life, and why?
- What are some things people and communities are doing to address the problem of plastic debris in the ocean? What are some things you can do?
- What are some alternatives to plastic packaging that might be better for the environment?
- What do you think the saying ‘think globally, act locally’ means? How does this apply to the issue of plastic debris in the ocean?