Lesson Overview: This lesson features primary sources, excerpts from a 1906 U.S. Government directed report about Russian Jewish immigration, to help students answer the question, "Why do people leave their homes?"
Essential and Guiding Questions:
- What was life like for immigrants before they emigrated?
- Why do people leave their homes?
- How do societal, political, and environmental forces/challenges influence the decision to migrate?
- How do the more intimate personal contexts motivate people's decisions to leave their homes?
- What happens to those who stay, and how do they relate to those who leave?