#2 News Story of 2017
A fidget spinner has two or three paddle-shaped blades attached to a central core. Kids hold it by the core and flick the blades to make it spin. Fidget spinners are popular in elementary and middle schools. They can be an effective calming influence and can help some students concentrate. They can also become airborne and create distractions to others who are trying to focus. Teachers have to decide whether to allow or ban them in their classrooms. Listen and then debate: Should fidget spinners be allowed in classrooms?
Listening Comprehension Questions:
- What are the benefits and challenges of allowing spinners in school?
- How do you think spinners can be used most effectively?
- What other tools do you think can be used to help students concentrate?
- Why do you think spinners are so popular?
Classroom Discussion Themes:
- What helps you concentrate?
- Debate: Should fidget spinners be allowed in classrooms?
Listenwise helps teachers use stories from public radio n their classrooms. To find more stories and lessons for your middle and high school ELA, social studies, and science classrooms you can sign up for a free Listenwise account!
Teaching Strategies for using Listenwise.
Image credit: Licensed under [CC BY 2.0](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/)