Title: Self-awareness through critical thinking and poetry
Estimated Time: Two day lesson, 45 minutes each
Grade Level(s): Fourth and Fifth
School Name: Penn Valley Elementary School
Lesson Plan Created By: Kara J. Covello
Lesson Summary: Reflection and recognition of personal strengths are integral to cultivating a sense of self-worth and celebrating one’s uniqueness. During this two-part lesson, students think about their experiences to describe who they are, think critically about these descriptions and craft a poem that captures their personality.
- Students discuss and elaborate on what it means to reflect.
- Students brainstorm phrases, words and experiences that describe who they are as people.
- Students identify and recognize traits about themselves.
- Students choose succinct personality traits based on their aforementioned writing.
- Students observe and listen to mentor writing and poems.
- Students analyze their writing to craft a poem about their personality and unique experiences.