* A two minute clip of the speech is available here https://youtu.be/7BYU70OkHpY
Given the close outcome of the race, what do you think President-elect Trump will focus on in the coming months?
Republican Donald Trump became the 45th president of the United States Tuesday in a surprising victory that defied many experts’ expectations.
Early polls had predicted Democratic challenger Hillary Clinton as the victor in Tuesday’s race, but as repeated battleground states fell to Trump Tuesday night it became clear that the reality star and businessman, viewed as a political outsider from the beginning, would win.
“To all Republicans, Democrats and independents across the nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people,” Trump told supporters gathered at a hotel in Manhattan to watch the results of the race. “I pledge to every citizen of our land, that I will be president of all Americans.”
As of early this morning, Clinton had reportedly called Trump to concede but had made no public statement.
At 6 a.m., the numbers showed Trump with a total of 289 electoral votes while Clinton held 216. The national popular vote was a virtual tie between the two candidates.
Warm up questions (before watching the video)
- Did you watch the election results come in last night? Were they what you thought they would be?
- What do you hope to hear in a President Elect's victory speech?
- What topics do you think President Elect Trump will cover?
Critical thinking questions (after watching the video)
- Overall, do you think Donald Trump made a good speech? Is there anything else you would have liked to hear him talk about in his speech?Why or why not?
- What were some of the key points covered in his acceptance speech?
- Do you think his speech will help unite the country?
- What factors played a role in Clinton losing to Trump?
- Do you think we will one day see a woman president in the U.S.? If so, when?