Houston, Texas is recovering from Hurricane Harvey and students were delayed in going back to school. Many students are staying in shelters and teachers are volunteering to provide learning opportunities to children who were traumatized or displaced by the hurricane. One special education teacher created a group of educators called Teachers Volunteering in Shelters to help these students. Listen to hear more about these volunteers.
Listening Comprehension Questions
- What type of support is needed for students who have experienced the trauma of Hurricane Harvey?
- Why is the uncertainty of this experience especially difficult for children with special needs or autism?
- What are the challenges of the schools in this area?
- Why is it important to note that these volunteers are certified teachers?
Classroom Discussion Themes
- If you were near this area, how could you provide support or services to these students?
- How do you think you would react if you were displaced by a hurricane? What types of things would help you?
Listenwise helps teachers use stories from public radio in their classrooms. To find more stories and lessons for your middle and high school ELA, social studies, and science classrooms you can sign up for a free Listenwise account!
Teaching Strategies for using Listenwise.