The electric grid is an invisible and yet deeply necessary part of modern life. Through a game, students understand the challenges of keeping the grid balanced. Students explore two map-based datasets to explain why and how the grid stays balanced. A deeper dive into their own local electric grid makes the learning relevant.
- Explain why the electric grid needs to be balanced over space and time.
- Evaluate choices made in a region in terms of how electricity is generated and transmitted.
- Map reading
- Data interpretation
- HS-PS2-6 Communicate scientific and technical information about why the molecular-level structure is important in the functioning of designed materials.
- HS-ESS3-4 Evaluate or refine a technological solution that reduces impacts of human activities on natural systems.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY Informational Texts, Science and Technical Subjects
- Connect investigation of the local electric grid to news articles about changes to the local electric makeup.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RH History/Social Studies
- The growth of the electric grid is a driving force for 20th century societal, technological, and demographic change.
Disciplinary Core Ideas:
- PS3.B: Conservation of Energy and Energy Transfer
- ETS1.A: Defining and Delimiting Engineering Problems