Climate change affects food, but food also affects climate change. Students investigate causes of and solutions to food waste, plant-based recipes to get excited about, and the diversity and variety of heirloom foods.
- Explain the link between food waste and climate change.
- Understand why some foods have a higher climate impact than others.
- Describe varieties of an heirloom food.
- Online research
- HS-ETS1-2 Design a solution to a complex real-world problem by breaking it down into smaller problems that can be solved through engineering.
- HS-LS2-7 Design, evaluate, and refine a solution for reducing the impacts of human activities on the environment and biodiversity.
- RST.11-12.9 Synthesize information from a range of sources into a coherent understanding of a process, phenomenon, or concept.
- WHST.9-12.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects to answer a question
Disciplinary Core Ideas:
- ESS2.D Weather and Climate
- ESS3.C Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- ESS3.D Global Climate Change