Students in grades k,1-2 will understand and explain biodiversity. Students will demonstrate an understanding of biodiversity by creating a short book using a book creator program. By the end of this unit students will be able to do the following:
- create a map of their schoolyard.
- predict the types of plants and animals found in their schoolyard habitat
- describe and classify the plants and animals found in specific areas of a schoolyard
- represent data found in a visual form (using tallies to create a bar graph)
- describe and compare quantities of the living things
- determine and report the diversity of a schoolyard
- define biodiversity and explain why biodiversity is important
Included in this lesson are a full unit outline and one detailed performance task with directions on how to collect and record data to determine the biodiversity of a schoolyard.
*Note: iPad and Lab Quest tools are suggested materials for this unit but can be substituted to fit your school's needs.
Career Connections (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Cluster: https://careertech.org/STEM
Possible careers include a surveyor, biologist, quality-control scientist, environmental scientist etc....