Great for distance learning! Complement your use of Khan Academy with 159 mini-lessons that are aligned with the Khan Academy 6th Grade Math mission. Spend less time planning and more time teaching and intervening where students are struggling. Lessons are brief and to the point so that students can quickly master skills on Khan Academy and then work on more creative projects that utilize these skills.
Use the link below to access these free lessons.
You can find additional free resources at the link below.
Details of what is included in this compressed zipped file:
1) A pacing guide that shows Khan Academy skills covered in each unit. Khan skills are covered mostly sequentially but there is a little jumping around.
2) A unit map that identifies key concepts, standards, vocabulary, and essential questions for each unit.
3) A description of a daily routine that utilizes the lesson materials provided. Description includes how students are assessed and how student learning is differentiated. I found administrators accepted this as my lesson plan when I also had the pacing guide and materials to back it up. Imagine, having lesson plans complete for the entire year!
4) Lesson materials for each unit. Lesson materials teach one or two Khan Academy skills in two pages split into a total of 4 sections:
- “Do Now,” a warm-up task that tests prerequisite skills or reviews the skills taught on the prior day.
- A skill or skills of the day, how students will know they have mastered the skill(s), and an essential question relevant to the skill.
- Teacher exemplar and students guided work directly related to the skill(s) of the day.
- Exit ticket to assess student understanding of the lesson.
Units are organized as follows:
Unit 1 Fraction Operations and Properties of Numbers - 11 lessons
Unit 2 Decimal Operations - 17 lessons
Unit 3 Ratios, Rates and Percent - 22 lessons
Unit 4 Negative Numbers - 20 lessons
Unit 5 Variables and Expressions - 16 lessons
Unit 6 Equations and Inequalities - 16 lessons
Unit 7 Geometry - 19 lessons
Unit 8 Statistics and Probability - 20 lessons
Unit 9 Final Test Preparation - 18 lessons
These units can be printed as one sheet per day (front and back). In a conventional teach, guided practice, independent practice, the skill(s) of the day can be assigned in Khan daily after completing this material. In a student-directed learning or “flipped” classroom the skill(s) of the day can be assigned in Khan Academy BEFORE teaching this material. Students who have mastered the skill before being taught can continue to work ahead on Khan or on a unit project. These materials can then be printed on demand for students who have not yet mastered the skill(s).
The final unit is a summary of the year that focuses on problem solving skills based upon 20 problem types identified for the grade level. A separate folder in this folder contains 10 question quizzes that align with this unit as well as materials to track student and class proficiency in the 20 problem types.
Many practice problems have been pulled from North Carolina released practice tests and EngageNY released practice tests.
5) Ten-question quizzes for 20 problem types. Quizzes and tests assigned and completed within Khan Academy are preferable for tracking student progress. However, sometimes technology is not available every day.