By conducting all parts of the Big Ideas for Big Cats activity, teachers will be able to: • Determine the students’ knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors about African cats, before viewing the film and participating in the provided lessons. • Adapt teaching styles and content to address the gaps in students’ knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors about African cats. • Assess the change in the students’ knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors about African cats, after viewing the film and participating in the provided lessons.
Table of Contents
Assessment Big Ideas for Big Cats
Welcome to the World of African Cats
1. African Cat Classifications
2. Tools to Survival: African Cat Adaptations
3. The African Savanna: Home to Africa’s Lions and Cheetahs
4. Predators: Life at the Top of the Food Chain
5. African Cat Behavioral Adaptations: A Day in the Life of an African Cat ...
6. Hot Topics: How Researchers Study Lions and Cheetahs – The Tools of Conservation
7. Hot Topics: Creating a Positive Future for African Cats
African Cats Resource Guide
Big Ideas for Big Cats cards - Grades 2-3
Big Ideas for Big Cats cards - Grades 4-6
Background on Disneynature's African Cats
Africa! The very name conjures up images of adventure, beauty, and wilderness. From its vast savannas to its lush tropical rainforests, Africa is truly a magical place. Africa’s wildlife is legendary; perhaps none so much as its cats, the lion and the cheetah. Since the beginning of recorded history, these cats have fascinated and inspired us with their power, speed, grace, and beauty. Unfortunately, today these amazing animals face an uncertain future. To appreciate these remarkable animals we must first learn about their African home. Many of us think we know about Africa by watching TV and movies. However, they only give us a limited view of this immense continent.