Google Earth Education: Lesson Plan Ages 12-15
Teachers will use the Google Earth Voyager Story, Finding Home, to show one journalist’s account of a Syrian family’s first year living as refugees. Teachers will also use Street View as an example of a “Storytelling Tool” for student analysis.
• Teachers will provide background information on the conflict in Syria.
• Students will examine two different accounts of a Syrian family’s first year living as refugees using the Google Earth Voyager Story, Finding Home, and the Time.com story, Finding Home: Heln’s First Year.
• Students will chart each account’s use of storytelling “tools” such as photos, videos, audio, maps, timelines, text and dialogue and the insight each provides into life as a refugee.
• Students will compare and contrast the events of each account.
• Students will write an informative/explanatory essay that compares and contrasts two different accounts of a Syrian family’s first year living as refugees. Students will outline the advantages and disadvantages to using each medium and its ability to convey the challenges and heartbreak of life as a refugee.